Friday, August 13, 2010

it was good?

when i taught english, i banned the word good. i told my students it was bland & overused & their writing could be more colorful than "that character was good," or "the plot was mostly nice" but "the ending was really bad." our "dead words" tutorial, re: words they weren't allowed to use in their papers, was complete w/memorial service, laminated tombstone, & homily... (tis true.)

but now i think i'm needing a tutorial on good. i'm a slow learner, & this- "it was good for me to be afflicted that i might learn your decrees" -psalm 119:71- is a hard teaching.

Father, help me embrace your good ways. help me love your goodness. help me learn to value the good work you do of drawing near & teaching me. give me a thankful heart that "through thorny ways," you lead to a joyful end.

"the nearness of God is my good" -psalm 73:28

No comments:

Post a Comment